Thursday, October 7, 2010

Op- Ed -itorium. Not a word? Piffle.


                Trifecta of Torment.  This is the title of an op-ed piece I read regarding the differences between democrat and republican policies on employment and financial matters.  I found this piece to be rather entertaining, though a bit slanted, as most op-ed’s tend to be.  This piece, to me, carries in its words a strong ethos, makes me believe what the writer is portraying.  Perhaps I find this to be the case because I agreed with him before I started reading, who knows?  The whole article, from my point of view emanates with logical statements, or logos.  It seems as though this article could sway the views of a non-extremist view, though I doubt anything will get through the hard-shell that is the extremist point of view from the right.  Perhaps the pathos meter is a bit lower than the others, but all in all I enjoyed reading the article, likely because it did agree mainly with my train of thought.
                Is Facebook a horrible, vapid waste of time?  I tend to lean toward yes.  But, as always, there is that little voice in the back of my head telling me if I remove my profile time and space could tear apart at the seams.  Okay, not quite to that extent, but for some people that truly seems to be the case.  As is the subject matter in the op-ed piece Facebook, I just can't quit you.  The author speaks of Facebook as though it is the “in” thing to have a profile.  Just as in the 90’s you weren’t “connected” unless you had a pager, and later, a cell-phone; you now cannot be “connected” unless you have a facebook page.  Sadly, this does seem to be the case for a lot of people; heck, I even have a facebook page, though I am careful not to use it much, and I never put anything deeply personal on there.  Just my paranoia perhaps.  I found myself agreeing with what this author had to say, though I was wishing it weren’t true.  Despite my need to disagree, this article was written in a very sensible manner, plainly stating how important Facebook is to survival in today’s “high-tech” times.
                An amusing article about the naivety of people was New York is Yours for the Taking, in this piece a sarcastic author explains how every New Yorker tries to fool themselves with a small town mentality.  As we know, New York is a MASSIVE city.  One should never leave anything where anyone could possibly get their hands on it.  Leave your phone in a cab?  Maybe everyone in your phone book will get a txt message asking when last they were tested.  Maybe, on the rare occasion, it will be returned by a kind soul.  But really what do you suppose the odds are of that actually happening in a city of 19 Million people (give or take)?  I agree mainly with the sarcastic, skeptical attitude I picked up through the words in this piece.  Through that, the piece has good ethos and pathos from my point of view.  Is it just me, or does it sound quite strange and awkward to incorporate words such as ethos, pathos, and logos to a paper? 

No comments:

Post a Comment