Wednesday, September 1, 2010

1st Entry

     So here I am, being the "over-achiever."  More than 24 hours to go before this post is "due," and I'm writing it up anyway.  For those who may not have guessed from the title of this blog, my name is, in fact, Sean.  I am writing this for my WRIT 101 course (and have no qualms about it, for the record).  A bit about me... following high school I joined the Navy.  "See the world" they said.  HA!  I saw plenty of blue, and plenty of brown.  After 6 years, I separated from the service and moved back to Missoula.  Since then I have been trying to figure out just who I was when I left, and who I am now.  I do know this though: I love the outdoors.  Nothing in this world makes me happier than being miles away from "civilization," be it by myself or with a group of friends.  A trip to the hot springs, or disappearing for a several-day hike... it's no matter, it's all wonderful.  I am also a big fan of dogs, my sled team will tell you the same as they grow fat and happy in their "golden years."  I don't much enjoy talking about myself directed to a computer screen, so that may be all you get for now in the "me" category.

     Unless, of course, you consider me discussing my like or dislike of reading!  Sneaky, sneaky, eh?  I must confess I've always been a bit of a book-loving geek.  When I was young, my parents had to tell me to put the book down and go outside to play in the summertime.  I never really had a specific genre I stuck to.  I do remember one book that I truly enjoyed reading, and cannot explain WHY I enjoyed reading it so much.  That book was Shogun, by James Clavell.  I would re-read that book in a heartbeat; and I cannot tell you why.  There really was nothing incredibly special about the story, the descriptiveness in the writing, or even the characters.  I simply loved reading it.  One thing I have learned through the books I've read is this:  Even a "bad" book has its good points.  Perhaps you would never read it a second time, but it's never ALL bad.

1 comment:

  1. I especially like your about me section. It's written with a lot of wit and style and it tells me a lot about you. The theme you picked is very pretty as well.

    I am intrigued by this Shogun book. You didn't say anything re: what it's about!

    I'm glad you don't have qualms with writing a blog and I look forward to watching yours unfold.

    ReplyDelete